After the Stroke

The aftermath of my husband’s stroke


My name is Diane Sare, I am a 58-year-old woman of Italian-Irish decent and I live in Florida
originally from Indiana. I have been married for 28 years to Scott, I have a stepson and
daughter, 2 adopted sons and 4 grand children. I am learning the true meaning of my wedding
vows in sickness and in health. My husband was always a very physically active person, lifting

weights and participating in martial arts. We had and have a great life.
At the age of 40 he was diagnosed with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and had high triglycerides. Triglycerides are the indicators for
elevated risk of stroke. The doctor also determined that my husband’s condition was hereditary and would be hard to control without strict dietary regimens and medication. We did not take it seriously, we were naïve and thought we change a few things and it would be all right and it was until October 27, 2017 when he suffered a very large stroke deep in the left side of his brain. I hope people take this to heart and make
changes in their lives. My husband also suffered a heart attack at the age of 50, still we did not make all the changes we should have and could have. We let life lead us with kids and busyness. Believe me when I tell you both can be obtained but it is work and sacrifice. He was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes while in the hospital having prostate surgery. Because my husband has a physically strong body he has survived the attacks from within.
There were signs of the both the heart attack and the stroke, my husband did not tell me about everything going on prior to the heart attack because he dismissed most of it. He was in the middle of testing for his heart when he had the heart attack.
Prior to the stroke he started having some logistically and memory issues all signs of the impending stroke. The stroke happened in the car while he was driving on the highway with our special needs son.

My son thought quickly and called me putting me on speaker phone I got thru to my husband and he pulled the car over safely in a neighborhood close to the hospital. 911 was called and he was to the hospital and received a shot and immediate treatment.
The outcome was not good as far as medically speaking. Spiritually God gave me assurance that Scott would not die. He was completely paralyzed on the right side, even his tongue was paralyzed. His brain continued to bleed for more than 24 hours, then became stable.
Many things can go wrong once a person is in this condition, infection, failure of major organs, pneumonia. None of these happened and my husband’s progress became an almost daily event.
What could have been done? So many things. The very top if the order is what we eat, eat healthy, if you are diabetic you must live like you are diabetic. The world is an ever-changing place and we have so many great choices we just must make them. The second thing is have a regular check up and blood work from your doctor. Remember some simple things Sugar is Sugar, Honey is Sugar, salt is salt no matter what kind it is. Be your own food advocate and advocate for your love ones, learn how to prepare healthy food choices, research it never sit back when you receive a diagnosis.
I would have done many thing differently but now I can only go forward and be thankful for what I have and that is a husband who is alive, recovering and spiritually in a great place.

From left to right: Scott, me and our son